Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Back in the Central Plateau

We are now on Boukan Kare still entering information. I wish I had more to say, but since all of the friends left, I haven't been doing anything really special.

We finished working in Tomond in record time with only two of us entering the file information. I think I'm in love with the cashier, Roseline, from Tomond. She was so fun to be around, always laughing. Her mother made us lunch everyday, which was nice because we were told that we wouldn't be able to get food or water there.

We stayed in this really nice hotel in Ench where a number of foreigners have stayed, including all Fonkoze personelle and the delegation participants. It even had a pool! Not that I went swimming, of course, because the water looked very skanky. I did spend and hour each day reading poolside which was nice. Working in an office all day does nothing for your tan. I have to come back with some evidence I've been to a Caribbean country.

I met this nice man from Spain who is working in Ench for two years for Cruz Roja. He is staying in the hotel until he finds a house. He went in the water after assuring me that it didn't have germs, just earth which made it look dirty. I still didn't brave the sludge.

We are now staying in an even nicer hotel in Mirbale. It has airconditioning and hot water. Now, for the first time in two months I have slept through the night and felt clean doing it. It has a pool too, but no water. What are you going to do.

For breakfast we had this cornmeal mash which is the coolest I've come to Ramen noodles since college. It was pretty good. I still miss avocado sandwiches for breakfast. Those are the best. I am certain we'll have goat for lunch, so at least I can keep some sort of regularity in my meal choices.

Before work yesterday I was hanging out with a group of Fonkoze clients, waiting to meet with their credit agent. They admired my teeth and skin color and then offered me a baby. That's the fifth baby I've been offered. Maybe one of these days I'll accept and instead of bringing a puppy home to mom and dad I'll be carrying a Haitian child.

Here are some more pictures

Some children walking along a lake. This large man made lake is in the center of Haiti. This picture is taken from Canges, the city where Paul Farmer built his hospital. If you don't know who he is look it up! This lake filters through a series of dams and powers the entire city of Port au Prince and its surrounding areas. They even have fish here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home