Wednesday, July 05, 2006

We're finally leaving

So after a long and tiring time in Gonayiv, we finally got the go ahead to leave this city even though we are not quite done entering all of the files. Our project manager, Christie, sensing that we needed to leave or else we were going to pull out each others hair and smash the computers to the ground arranged for use to move on. Plus I sent her an email saying we were going to rebel if we didn't leave here soon.



So we are separating. Three people per group, two cities each, before we return to Port au Prince.

I have been to Port au Prince before so I've seen things like trash in the streets, stagnant water lining the sidewalks and dust flying in the air. I thought Port au Prince was the worst, but I have changed my mind.

Gonayiv has had a rough couple of years with the rebellions and the hurricane. After the hurricane, Fonkoze offered loans at no interest to the people here to help them build back their businesses that were lost and you can see people working and selling food and goods on the streets, people who have some sort of livelihood, but for some reason, I can not stand this city.

I think part of it has to do with the lack of human contact. When we were in Port au Prince the last time I was here, we spent everyday with the kids at the orphanage and the women at the hospice. We got to establish some sort of human connection with actual people. Here, now, all we do is drive from the hotel to the office to the restaurant and then back to the hotel. The only people we speak to are each other and the branch manager to ask for more files. This could be part of the reason why were all going so crazy. There is no break from the monotony of our surroundings or each other.

Hopefully things will change when we move on. At least I hope they will. The place where we are staying in Gwomon is within walking distance of the branch so perhaps we will get to experience the city more.

I will not have internet there unless I find a cybercafé. So until then!

1 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Audrey! Great to check out your postings and to see ohotos. Sounds like the data entry phase is ending and you're onto other tasks. Miss you. Can I also send you emails? Maura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home